Discussion

Win a Copy of the Grateful Dead's 'May 1977: Get Shown the Light' Box Set

Do you want an absurdly amazing Grateful Dead box set? Of course, you do. We're giving away a copy of May 1977: Get Shown The Light, an 11-disc box set that features the Grateful Dead’s Cornell University show (5/8/77) along with three other previously unreleased concerts, to one lucky member of the No Depression community.

From a press release:

The Grateful Dead played more than 2,000 concerts, but none continues to spark interest and provoke discussion quite like the band’s performance at Cornell University’s Barton Hall on May 8, 1977. It is one of the most collected, traded, and debated concerts by any band ever, has topped numerous fan polls through the years, and was a favorite of the group’s longtime archivist Dick Latvala, who stated: “Enough can’t be said about this superb show.” Even Uncle Sam got into the act in 2011 when the recording was “deemed so important to the history and culture of the United States” that a copy was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry.

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of that magical show, Dead.net will release MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT, a new 11-disc boxed set that features the commercial debut of the Cornell University show (5/8/77) along with three other previously unreleased concerts: Veterans’ Memorial Coliseum, New Haven, CT (5/5/77), Boston Garden, Boston, MA (5/7/77), and Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, NY (5/9/77). As if that weren’t enough, the source for these recordings is the legendary Betty Boards, which Jeffrey Norman has mastered in HDCD for unrivaled sound quality. The transfers from the master tapes were produced by Plangent Processes, further ensuring that this is the best, most authentic that Cornell (and the other three shows) has ever sounded.

To enter: Comment here with your favorite Grateful Dead memory, whether it was a show, an album, or just the right song at the right time. We'll choose one winner and send them a copy of the album. Comments posted on social media don't count toward the contest. Anyone may enter but prizes can only be sent to US addresses.

Comment anytime between 12:01 a.m. Eastern on Friday (May 12) and 9 p.m. Eastern on Thursday, May 18. The winner will be announced shortly thereafter.

(More info about the album, including a full track listing, is available here.)

The Grateful Dead live, is grounding music for your soul and spirit.

The 'Wall of Sound' show at Hec Edmundson Pavillion at the Univ. of WA, in May 21, 1974 blew my mind. Phil's bass was so loud, but clear. I could feel his notes pass through my body, grab hold of my spine and shake me to my core.  

I was at the 5/7/77 show and I remember it as mediocre.

3/22/90 - Hamilton Ontario, late in the second set, coming out of Other One weidness, they broke it down to almost nothing and Brent started singing Hey Jude...Jerry and the rest of the boys joined in and they sang the whole thing. They were barely holding on, it was ragged, but oh so right. I had been on the bus for a few years by this point, but this totally sealed the deal and truly changed my life. 

Saw some Great shows in Ventura in the 80's & the venue was right on the beach! Living in Ventura at the time I could walk to the shows! How cool was that!

I purchased tickets to see Bob Dylan on tour in 1988 at Alpine Valley. When I found out the Dead were playing for an extended run of shows right after the Dylan show I purchased tickets for their show as well.
My daughter was born just days before the concerts, so I had to arrange for her very first babysitter so I could see Dylan and the Dead.
My biggest memory of the Dead show was the DeadHeads. Tens of thousands turned the area around Alpine Valley into a festive DeadHead Hippie village. Never had I seen so many happy fun loving people in one place.
Flags, tents, food, and dancing everywhere. Of course lots of wonderful smells and music filled the air.
Oh and the concerts by the Dead and Dylan were both stellar.

3/31/89  Greensboro.  First show. At 16 years old I had never left my small town and drove over 2 hrs to see the show.  Camped in the parking lot...needless to say my mind was blown....Two things that are etched in my mind.  There was this kid maybe 10 years old that looked like the kid from Road Warrier, pushing a skateboard with a cooler on it...yelling Coka Cola 75 cents!! Then squaking like a parrot.  The morning after the show still up from the night before we found deer antler pipe on the ground filled with hash.  I got on the bus that day...never got off. 

My first show, 9-15-85, was at Devore Stadium, Chula Vista, California. It was at Southwestern College, about 4 blocks from my house, and me and my pals "prepared" and walked down to the show. Our little corner of the world was taken over by Deadheads, it was nuts. The people who lived around there lost it, and tried to get concerts at SWC banned forever. The show was great, though I mostly realize that in hindsight, having heard some of the better recordings. The experience was amazing. I was hooked after that. The Dead came to our neighborhood and blew the doors off. It was great.

Philly Spectrum, Spring 1982.

After a terrible first night (in our haze, we thought Weirhey promised to do better "tomorrow," they did way, way better, playing a second set that stands among the best couple of hours of live music I've experienced, culminating in a Morning Dew" for the ages.  When the show was released as a "Road Trip," it confirmed that it wasn't all in my head.

Somehow, someway, I was never able to experience The Grateful Dead live. Every time plans were made there was some calamity that prevented it from going down.

Consequently, I lived vicariously thru tape trading circles for years. It took some work but was so much fun - exchanging letters, setting up the trade, sending another show or some blanks in exchange for the new vibes, the thrill of seeing the package in the mailbox. It was all about sharing and building relationships thru music, just like the ethos of The Grateful Dead.

Mainlining live tapes directly to my brain via headphones I created my own GD concerts in my room. And while I was never there, I was always totally "there".

October 12, 1977, Manor Downs, TX. Went to the concert in a T-shirt, but it turned out to be the first cold day of the fall as a norther started blowing in during Candy Man, the third or fourth song. By the time they got to The Other One, deep in the second set, I was running wide arcs through the audience just to keep warm. I'll never forget how the individual guitar notes in Candy Man floated on the beginning winds that came like a portent. It seemed as though they were lined up like soldiers in a weird dream that felt something like the pace achieved in The Sorcerers Apprentice. I felt like they were queing up and then blowing right through the cyclopean skull on the poster. It was a dizzy, satisfying night to stick it out through the cold, suffer a little for the music I loved, with confidence that I could always get warm later --- which I did, basking in the memories of a great evening with The Dead.

my first experience seeing the grateful dead was unfortunately without Jerry, at the 50th anniversary shows in Chicago. I'd been into the dead for years, but didn't get much into the off-shoot bands and their live scene. I considered making the trip from NYC to Chicago for these shows, but it seemed insane. I don't have many friends into the dead, and fewer still who would go to chicago for shows without Jerry, at the price they were. But I do have one friend who is gung ho for anything, loves the dead, and always finds a way. I scored a single ticket from a coworker who was selling it, and with that one ticket me and this friend got in his car and set out to Chicago to make it work. We both got tickets for all three shows. We stayed with his deadhead polyamorous sister who was seeing the shows with her boyfriend and her husband, who was going with his girlfriend - who was the wife of his wife's boyfriend. It was a wild and weird group to be exposed to for the first time, while at the same time experiencing my first real Dead concert experience. I'd been to plenty of Phish shows, but this was another story all together. I've never been to a concert as huge, with as many people as in Soldier's Field, and with suge monumental importance to everyone in attendance. To be in that stadium with some 80,000 people, all smiles and crying tears of joy to Ripple, and dancing, (and going for bathroom breaks during Drums - too bad, I think, because it was awesome), at this whirlwind event, a classic last minute anything goes caution to the wind road trip to Chicago to try to salvage the last possible chance to see whatever semblence of the Grateful Dead that could be seen live - even if to some it was essentially a brand name rather than the real band, it didn't matter, because it was a feeling, it was a happening, it was a community, it was everything people hated about 90s stadium Dead and everything people love about the Dead all together, and even without Jerry it was magic. Since those shows I'm more into the Dead than I ever have been. In a way it changed my life, where before GD50 I was a casual listener (more into the jams and live experiments than some of the songs), I became a full fledged head. I listen to the dead more than anything else now, and dove into their live catalog with unstoppable excitement, and I see no end to this road. I am thankful for the dead, everything they are and have meant to their fans, and for the very dead-like spirit with which my friend and I decided to hit the road without tickets and go with the flow, and found one of the best experiences of our lives, even if it was 20-40 years after what many heads experienced with the full Grateful Dead.